While 2016 may have been a less-than-stellar year for cinema, the trailers released to promote the year’s films were of an extremely high standard. Here are 10 of our favourites…
(We only included trailers for 2016 releases, so no Logan— sorry!)
1. The only time we literally cried at a trailer this year came from the stunning mix of “Hedwig’s Theme” and Dario Marianelli’s “Evey Reborn” used in Fantastic Beasts‘ teaser trailer.
2. One word: magical.
3. Featuring a stirring Radiohead track, the teaser for Gavin O’Connor’s Autistic Accountant Assassin thriller was ten times more atmospheric than the film itself.
4. Teasing the best sequence in the film, Star Trek Beyond‘s teaser trailer blasted Beastie Boys’ “Sabotage” across space, and got our pulses racing.
5. Though much of the footage included never made it to the finished film, the first look at Rogue One firmly established its unique angle on the Star Wars universe, and that final shot– WOW.
6 & 7.Like the film itself, the ruin of Batman v Superman‘s trailer campaign was the arrival of Doomsday. These two spectacular previews were Doomsday-free, and gave a glimpse at the epic scope and operatic tone of Zack Snyder’s film. The cover of The Who’s The Seeker” in the Final Trailer is truly awesome.
8. The best thing about this trailer is the surprise factor of its release– we didn’t know this film existed until a few weeks before its release. Extremely enigmatic.
9. There’s really nothing better than recycling of iconic moments when you’re sequelising a classic film. IDR made terrific use of Bill Pullman’s famous speech from the 1996 film. Pity Resurgence The Film wasn’t as exciting.
10. Warner Bros. were so impressed by TrailerPark’s work on this trailer, they hired the company to recut David Ayer’s film. The result of that decision was unspeakably appalling, but their zippy, flashy editing works wonders in short 150-second bursts.